How do I make sure my equipment is safe?
To make sure equipment is safe you’ll need to put measures in place for staff to do, and contract a suitable PAT technician to carry out appropriate tests:
- Encourage staff to check the cable for the appliance before they use it (user check)
- Encourage staff to check the appliance before the use it (user check)
- Get all portable equipment visually inspected by a competent person as soon as possible then at appropriate intervals of between one month and 5 years dependent on the type of equipment and environment it is used in.
- Arrange for equipment that needs it to have a portable appliance test as soon as possible then at appropriate intervals thereafter
- Ensure that damaged and faulty equipment is recognised, removed from use and either repaired or disposed of
- Regularly review your maintenance system to determine whether the intervals continue to be appropriate.